Saturday, March 6, 2010

Hand-Shearing

Today I hand-sheared Violet, the white Angora goat. It was the first time I did this and it took 3 hours! I was so afraid that I would cut her skin, and she didn't want to stand still for long. It was a great lesson in having patience, and the only blood was from cutting my own finger.

I was hoping to shear both Angoras today, but I guess I'll be out there tomorrow with Emma, the black Angora. It feels a little chilly to be doing this, but I'm supposed to shear them again in August, and I'd like some length to the hair so that I can learn to spin it. I just checked on them and they are both sunning themselves and they have a deep bedding of straw to stay warm tonight.

Maybe by August I'll have Angora clippers....or call in a professional shearer! (Maybe not. I like having this time with the goats, and I think they like it too.)

No comments: