Saturday, April 3, 2010

Here Yesterday, Gone Today

Darn deer ate my strawberries! At least they didn't carry away the plants this time. I can't figure out how to live peacefully with the wildlife when they keep eating my food.

So far today the garden beds were filled and sectioned off, beets and carrots were sown, and some fencing was reinforced. I wish I could afford either picket fencing for around the garden, heavy duty deer fencing for around the front of the property, OR really cool high wall fencing (like stone walls maybe, with moss growing on it) around the entire property with gates to go through! If I had the high walls I just might let the goats and horses roam free. Oh no, then I'd STILL have to fence off the front of the property to keep THEM out.

As for the animals, the angora and cashmere goats are free ranging today and staying somewhat close to the horses. The horses are still in the small paddock because the ground is too wet in the larger pasture, and I don't want them to tear up the grass I planted in there last year. As soon as I am off this blog I'm going out to expand the paddock area (again) towards the back pond where there's a lot of barberry bushes. To my surprise I've learned that MY horses love to eat them as much as the goats....and of course I want to be rid of them! So hopefully the goats will follow the horses in that direction and gorge themselves on those prickly eats. Hopefully they will be here today and gone tomorrow. Too bad I can't get the darn deer to eat them. Maybe if I spray them with some strawberry scent?

1 comment:

Linda Mauser said...

Oh no! Sorry about your strawberries.They will probably grow back.Spray them with hot red pepper juice.It might work.Love ya sister.Happy Easter!