Thursday, May 20, 2010

Spring News

It's a gorgeous evening and I'm sitting here on the porch listening to the chorus of spring peepers, wood frogs, toads, green frogs, and someone's peacocks off in the distance. When I first moved to this property I thought that the peacocks were a child screaming, and it was quite creepy. I usually hear them in the afternoon, but now that I know what they are it seems to be a more pleasant sound to my ears.

Sitting here, I'm thinking that I could live outside, and probably be happier and more peaceful, although bug-bitten.....that's what nature does. Oh! I think I might be hearing my first cricket of the season! (and some far-off dogs barking.) Perhaps I shall sleep out here tonight.

I started this post with the thoughts of noting how well things are coming along on the farm this year. All the seeds that I planted are now growing well: beets, carrots, green beans, purple beans, broccoli, yellow squash, peppers, onions, sweet corn, popcorn, & pumpkin. I have a salad garden up on the deck with 5 kinds of leaf lettuce and spinach, tomatoes growing like crazy in the trash can, and herbs: basil, rosemary, parsley, thyme, lime thyme, oregano, sage, lemon balm, garlic chives, fennel, and mint. I've also started a small asparagus patch this year, but might not be harvesting any until 2012. The fruit trees are growing nicely, with 7 peaches on that tree! The only thing that's not doing so well are my strawberries. I moved them to a trough planter so the rabbits or deer don't eat them, but maybe they need to get more established. I get some flowers but the fruit doesn't look so good.

All the animals are doing well. I expanded the horse paddock again and am waiting to put them out into the other pasture until the ground dries out more. A new trail has been made and it's going to be a gorgeous ride!
We switched the hens back to pelleted feed and they have been laying more than ever! We get about 5 - 8 eggs per day, minus the ones I drop or Macrae pokes too hard. I can't imagine ever living without laying hens and fresh eggs again. It's so awesome to think that you'll never go hungry because you can just go collect the eggs!
All the goats are doing well with free-range time almost daily. I was a little worried that the cashmeres would take off, but they all stay close by and as soon as they think a little grain might be offered they come running. It's funny how we let them out and the angoras go into the cashmeres' pen. I guess they are just being nosy.
I can't forget to mention one of the most important animals on the farm, Rowan the Boxer. She's still doing her job well, keeping all the goats in the back of the house, and informing me of any visitors. She's still tolerating Macrae's pinches, ear pulls, hits, and shoves as if they don't bother her. She also pals around with the mini chihuahua, Chloe, like they are best buds. I tend to take her for granted, but she's the best dog ever.

Well, the chorus has died down, and now I'm hearing an occasional bullfrog croak. I guess it's time to say good-night. I hope you are all well!
I'll try to post some pics soon.

1 comment:

~Free said...

What an exciting time of year :)